January 15, 2015

Barbara's Lake Hike


In November, before my walk turned into a waddle, Landon and I explored some more of California by going on a hike to Barbara's Lake. Being the Seattle girl that I am, I really wanted to see the green trees and blue lake the online photos promised. However, with a 3 year drought we didn't have much of either of those. Actually you'll see in the below photos, there was actually no lake at all!


The hike was a sandy, mostly uncovered 3.12 mile loop path with a 679 mile elevation gain. I was so proud of myself for doing it at 28 weeks pregnant. I didn't have any expectations of myself as a pregnant woman but after being so sick the first trimester and hardly able to leave my bed, I have been so happy being able to be so active in the later trimesters. 


Coming up to the lake I thought we had just walked to the Desert Pavement of an African Desert! I couldn't wait to walk across it! I thought it would be hard and sturdy, but instead it was really soft and squishy like a sponge.



- Travel Tips -

By far our favorite website for information about hiking in Southern California is The So Cal Hiker. His information is organized so well and clearly presented making it easy to choose a hike based on your parameters for the day whether that is distance, elevation, weather or difficulty. He hikes each of the trails personally that way his information is reliable and up to date. 

No comments :